Oklahoma City Energy FC 2, Tulsa Roughnecks 0

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma _ And so it continues for the OKC Energy, as they once again knock off their instate rival, Tulsa Roughnecks FC by a score of 2-0. The Energy are nothing to scoff at, at this point, now winning a franchise best seven games in a row, and haven’t lost since mid-April.

The victory also marks the fifth consecutive shutout for the team, who at the beginning of the season had been notorious for squandering lead after lead, giving up goals in the second half. There seems to be a renaissance in the Energy’s backline, warding off any attack as of late.

Tulsa came ready to play, pressuring Oklahoma City early, and moving the ball very cleanly in the first 18 minutes of the match, controlling much of the match in their attacking third. Still, The Energy held strong, and soon the attack was snuffed out. Once again, OKC held possession for the majority of the match, controlling the ball for well of 60 percent.

With Kyle Venter and Mason Grimes out for Tulsa’s backline, it became all but too easy for Danni König and company to find the net twice.

König, now scoring in eight straight matches, got the party started for the Energy in the 28th minute, working the ball into a crowded box before hammering a brilliant ball past Tulsa keeper Zac Lubin. The Energy would pepper Tulsa for the 17 minutes before Oklahoma City would take a 1-0 lead to halftime.

Oklahoma City came out aggressive again in the second half, continuing to press the Roughnecks side. Gareth Evans joined the fun in the 49th minute off of an OKC corner. Evans came running into the box on the cross, and was left mostly un-defended, leading to a textbook header, and his first goal for the Oklahoma City Energy.

Once again, The Energy sit atop the table in the USL’s Western Conference, and look to take down FC Dallas in Tuesday night’s U.S. Open Cup match in Ft. Worth, Texas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *